Since 1991, the City of Santa Clarita has offered local youth and young adults the opportunity to gain job experience through the YES and Job Skills job training programs. Program participants can obtain the skills necessary to build self-esteem and confidence. Priority for employment opportunities is given to Santa Clarita residents.
The Youth Employment Services (YES) Program is a job training program for low-income, special needs, and/or at-risk 15-19 year-old high school students residing in Santa Clarita. The City of Santa Clarita partners with businesses and local agencies. The City pays the participants’ wages and covers Worker’s Compensation while they are in the program.
How Does YES Work?
YES participants apply online and are interviewed and hired by the City of Santa Clarita. Successful applicants are placed at local job sites (host employers) for 8 weeks in the summer, and 12 weeks each in the fall and spring. Participants are required to attend three workshops while in the program.
Fall Session – September through December (ages 16-19 years old)
Spring Session – February through May (ages 16-19 years old)
Summer Session – June through July (ages 15-19 years old)
The host employer has the option of interviewing the participant(s) assigned to his/her location before the participant starts. YES Program staff works closely with host employers to help participants establish good work ethics and develop their skills. Teens who successfully complete the program receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program.
Summer Applicants Must:
- Be a 15 -19-year-old high school student
- Low Income - from a single-parent home, receive a modified lunch program at school (or)
- At-Risk - low grades; on probation; recovering from addiction; in the DCFS or foster care system; special education at school; behavioral issues; gang affiliation or potential gang affiliation; hanging out with the wrong crowd
- Reside in Santa Clarita Valley
Where Do I Apply?
- Visit the Santa Clarita Jobs Website - Online application available on Monday, March 6.
- Only the first 60 applications will be accepted due to limited work site availability. The job posting will automatically close once the maximum number is received.
- NOTE: If you already participated in the program you are not eligible to reapply.
If hired, the participant will:
- Work from June 5 to July 28, 2017
- Earn $10.50 an hour
- Work up to 15 hours/week for 8 weeks at various locations in Santa Clarita
- Learn various skills such as customer service, operating a cash register, stocking, merchandising, supervising children, etc.
- Participate in skill-building workshops to increase employability
Over 25 businesses partner with the City. Click on Employers tab to learn more. For more information, call Susie Cordova at (661) 250-3721 or E-mail Susie Cordova