Update of Santa Clarita Municipal Code 6.02
The City recently updated Santa Clarita Municipal Code (SCMC) 6.02 - Manufactured Home Park Rent Adjustment Procedures. The updates were approved by the City Council and the Ordinance was adopted at the Second Reading on July 11, 2017. The redline version reflecting the changes, and the final updated version of SCMC 6.02 can be viewed or printed by clicking on the links below:
New Manufactured Home Park Resource
The State of California Department of Housing and Community Development, who regulates Mobile Home Park matters, is offering a new resource within The Office of Mobilehome Ombudsman. This new Mobilehome Assistance Center is designed to meet your needs within your Mobilehome Park by providing assistance with the following:
- Health or safety issues
- Mobilehome installation, inspection, maintenance and alteration
- Unlawful or unlicensed mobilehome sales
- Mobilehome Residency Law information
- Mobilehome ownership documentation
- Fraudulent mobilehome sale compensation
- Other local resources
Please contact the Mobilehome Assistance Center:
916.263.4742 (Sacramento Area)
800.952.5275 (Toll Free)
800.735.2929 (TTD Number)
The Office of the Mobilehome Ombudsman
Mobilehome Assistance Center
Department of Housing and Community Development
PO Box 31; Sacramento, CA 95812-0031
Santa Clarita Municipal Code 6.02 and 6.04
Manufactured (Mobile) Home Parks in Santa Clarita are governed in part by Santa Clarita Municipal Codes (SCMC) 6.02 and 6.04. Other issues related to mobile home parks, including building and safety code, park inspections, and permits for construction are under the jurisdiction of the State Department of Housing and Community Development.
The key issues addressed by SCMC 6.02 and 6.04 are listed below:
- Requires parks to report on and register mobile home spaces.
- Provides guidance on allowable annual space rent increases
- Creates a Manufactured Rental Adjustment Panel to hear appeals of proposed space rent increases.
Annual Space Rent Adjustments and Appeals
SCMC 6.02 requires that the notice of any rent adjusted imposed in 2017 be provided to the manufactured home park resident by October 1, 2016. The notice must include a summary of the requirements related to the contents of a rent adjustment notice and the rights of the resident to request an appeal hearing before the panel.
- An updated Summary will be posted by October 1, 2017.
In some circumstances, Manufactured Home Park residents may be able to appeal a proposed space rent increase. Appeals are heard by the Panel. SCMC 6.02 requires that appeal petitions be submitted on the Panel- approved Appeal Request Form, and be submitted within 45 days of receiving the rent increase notice. The Appeal Request Form may be downloaded by clicking the links below:
- Updated Appeal Forms will be posted by October 1, 2017.
- Defines the process for closing a mobile home park
California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD)
All issues not specifically addressed by SCMC 6.02 or SCMC 6.04 are under the authority of the State of California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD). Below is some helpful contact information for HCD:
- Mobile Home Ombudsman: (800) 952-5275
- Permits: (951) 782-4420
- Titling and Registration: (818) 717-5267
- Mobilehome Park Complaint Form
Below is a document which specifies which laws govern which areas of mobile home park law